I’ve read somewhere recently a mindfulness tip. Apparently speaking out loud every day three things that you are grateful for will train your brain to focus on the things that are important and improve your happiness. When I remember, I’m trying to do this every day! In the meantime, I thought I’d share with you 5 things I’m grateful for this week:
- Alice has had her school nativity play this week and despite an incident with a rogue elf in the play, it went off very well. She looked so cute in her angel costume!
- I’ve made a big dent on the Christmas shopping! I’ve still got a fair way to go, but I’m pleased that I’ve made a big start on it. I hate going to the shops at this time of year so I’m trying to get the majority of it done online.
- I no longer commute into London but my husband does. In the last couple of weeks there have been ongoing issues with the trains. Delay after delay. I’m so grateful that I don’t have to do that daily battle with the train and tube anymore. I love that I can do my freelance writing work from home and that it flexibly fits in with my family.
- We’ve had the best school run this week since September. Whilst there have been a few bad moments, Alice seems to have really settled down and enjoying ‘Big School’ this week. I’ve had far less tears and tantrums than we’ve seen in previous weeks. It’s surprising how much happier and easier my day becomes on a good school run and for that I’m hugely grateful.
- Tonsillitis, upset stomachs, colds. We seem to have to have had a real run of illness in this house. After weeks of everyone in our household being ill, we are all finally on the road to recovery.
This time of year is normally really busy for most people. We get stressed out about shopping and Christmas on top of the usual every day strains of work and juggling life. I think it’s a good tip to take time out of each day to pause and reflect on what we are all thankful for. It seems to genuinely make us more thankful and a little happier.