It’s been a long winter and feels like it’s taken forever for the sun to break through and start warming us all up, but finally today, there was sunshine! Not only that, but it was bloomin’ hot (not that I’m about to start complaining). It seems that we’ve somehow bypassed spring completely and moved straight on to summer. It was hot enough to wear a t.shirt, skirt AND flipflops this afternoon to do the school run.
There’s something about sunshine that makes everything feel better. People start shedding their clothes and smiling more! Most of you will know that I’m a big fan of summer rather than winter, but whatever your favourite season, you can’t deny that you’ve got to love the sunshine!
Here’s just 7 reasons why it makes us smile:
- We can finally get outside! Whether it’s taking the kids to the park, playing in the garden, sitting outside with a cuppa or hanging the washing out, finally we can all get outside! The Easter holidays were pretty much a washout and we ended up doing every indoor activity that you can think of with the kids in order to keep them occupied. But when the sun’s out, it’s so much easier (and cheaper) to just play outside.
2. Out with the winter coat and in with the summer wardrobe. I’ve been so sick of wearing my big old winter coat and jumpers for months on end. Funny how things can change, just last week I was wearing my hat, scarf and gloves. Today I was in flip flops! Sunshine means it’s time to bring out the summer wardrobe and that means more variety – skirts, dresses and shorts. It’s also an excuse to update the wardrobe and buy more clothes.
3. Everything seems better. For some reason, when the sun shines, everyone feels happier. Is there a reason? Is it scientific? I definitely feel that in the winter I suffer from SAD syndrome. The feeling of the sun on your skin, the joy at feeling warm without wearing five layers, the ability to get outside and not feel damp or cold is just somehow wonderful. Problems seem to be so much easier to deal with when the sun is shining than when you’re staring out of the window on to endless grey, drizzly, dreary days. There’s a definite lift in mood when you walk down the street in sunshine to when you’re walking in the cold or rain. You’re more likely to smile and chat to other people. Sunshine really does radiate positivity!
4. It’s a boost to our health. Studies show that sunshine gives us vitamin D which is good for our bones and skin. Not only that, but sunshine increases our levels of serotonin (the feel good hormone), so it could very well be a scientific reason for why sunshine makes us feel so good.
5. We’re more likely to exercise. Would you rather go for a run in the rain or the sunshine? Seems like an obvious answer to me, but even if you’re doing an indoor sport, it’s definitely easier to motivate yourself to get off the sofa to exercise when the sun is shining.
6. It’s easier to wake up. In the depths of winter it can take me ages to wake up (even if there is a little person jumping on me at 6am), but when the sun is shining, it’s so much easier. This week, I’ve found myself naturally waking up long before my usual 4 year old alarm clock bounds in. And that in itself is a lovely way to start the day rather than the hard to shake groggy feeling of it still being the middle of the night.
7. We come out of hibernation. I’m talking socialising here. When it’s winter, we have a tendency to hide away and spend evenings on the sofa in front of the T.V. but when the sun comes out it feels easier and more inviting to go out and see other people. Oh and the possibility of a beer garden or a G&T outside is a massive draw too.
Let’s hope the sunshine stays with us for a while yet and let’s all enjoy the brilliant benefits that it brings. Chin Chin!